I am delighted to announce Joan Robb as the Cronulla Senior of the Year for 2020.
Ms Robb has volunteered with Neighbourhood Aid/ BeConnected/ BetterConnected for over 24 years. She has made an outstanding contribution to the community as she held many roles including treasurer and member of the management committee.
MS Robb volunteers to take clients out and assists them with their shopping. She also shares a coffee and a chat with the clients as she transports them and accompanies them on morning tea outings.
This award is deserving recognition of Ms Robb’s tireless efforts and generosity.
The other finalists were:
- Stephen Deards – a volunteer with Sutherland Shire Bushcare for 30 years. As well as the nine Sutherland Shire Bushcare groups with which he currently volunteers, Stephen also volunteers with two groups operating within Kamay Botany Bay National Park.
- Geoff Schuberg APM – honorary secretary of Cronulla RSL Sub-Branch for over 10 years. He also helps with Department of Veterans Affairs claims while he continues to be the face of the Cronulla Sub-Branch for the ANZAC Day dawn services and Remembrance Day and Vietnam Veterans’ Day services.
Previous winners of the Cronulla Senior of the Year award are:
- Robert Lovell – volunteer in the Kurnell community
- John Kane – volunteer at Sailability Cronulla
- Mick Brannock – volunteer at Wanda Surf Life Saving Club
- Father Kerry Bayada – Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, Caringbah
- Patricia Donaghy – volunteer at Older Women’s Network Sutherland